top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Here to Help

Will my health insurance cover Registered Dietitian Nutritionist services?

Some insurance providers do cover nutrition services.  Be sure to contact your insurance provider to check.

What forms of payment does Melissa Prest take?

At this time, all services are a cash basis.  Melissa can provide you with a Super Bill to give to your insurance company for reimbursement (if your insurance provider does cover nutrition services).

What is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist or RDN?

This is a great question and one that is confusing when you hear the term dietitian and nutritionist.  An RDN is a healthcare professional who has at a minimum a bachelor degree in food and nutrition.  To obtain the bachelor degree, the candidate must take classes in food science, nutrition science, biochemistry, organic and inorganic chemistry, anatomy and physiology, microbiology, business, and other general education.  It is a comprehensive program allowing the future RDN to disseminate scientific research and application of learning to provide medical nutrition therapy.  After obtaining a four year degree, future RDNs must under a rigorous internship of a minimum of 900 hours that provides practical hands on training under the guidance of other RDNs.  To use the RDN credential, one must sit for and pass a credentialing exam.  To qualify to sit for this exam one must complete both didactic and practical training.  After receiving the RDN credential, the practitioner must maintain competency in the field and complete 75 continuing education credits in a 5 year period.  RDNs work in a variety of settings including hospitals, outpatient clinics, food service, industry, and community programs.

bottom of page